Monday, September 26, 2005

Whales

I was reading my 2 bambinos a book about whales before bed tonight. I love children`s books because they sometimes catch you off guard and bring you back into your own childhood. I loved whales when I was a kid. If I talk about how much, I run the risk of sounding like a noncynical blogger and you know that`s rare. I loved this book as much as the kids did. From Whales by Cynthia Rylant:


"Whales love their children, and when they are born, the babies are gently pushed to the top of the water where they take their first breath and see their first sky and gasp at the loveliness of living.
The blues are humble. The largest life God ever made is a blue whale.Yet blues are neither pushy or boastful...They swim past delicately and with impeccable manners.
And whales do not know, as they rise up for a big breath of air, that someone is standing on a shore and his heart is filling up. Filling up and ready to burst. Whales do not know how they change people, how they make them better, how they make them kind. Like angels appearing in the sky, whales are proof of God."

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm just a mom in the world. A crunchy Catholic mama of 6 trying to make sense of it all and stay positive. 5 boys here & 1 in heaven. One awesome man who I get to grow old with. I help new moms breastfeed. I`m happy. I don`t go to shows or dance clubs every night but I would if I could. Where`s the nanny? When I see her she`s SO fired! One of my boys is super sweet and sensitive, another one is a holy terror. I learn a ton from all of them daily. Like Nigella says, as any parent of small children knows,there comes a point in the day where you can`t go any further without a drink! I love cocktail hour. I`d like nothing more than to be with my family and some good friends surrounded by tropical plants drinking a margarita listening to the Eagles. I don`t care about trendy, I like that grungy 70`s vibe.