Monday, July 09, 2007

7

My 7 year old reminds me of myself at 7. He is free to roam around and play outside. I was let loose on our compound in Saudi Arabia.

I would knock on the doors of all of my friends and sometimes they would play--but most of my memories are of me exploring by myself in the 120+ degree heat of the day. He does a circuit of our neighborhood each day trying to get somebody to come out and play.

My son rides his scooter, I rode my bike. He never takes it personally when kids don't come out, he keeps on cruising. I remember being told my friends were grounded by their parents & I just kept on rolling.

It probably seems weird in this day and age to let your child out by himself, but our neighborhood is filled with kids and is pretty quiet and calm. I think playing outside without me is important for him. My son and I are both the oldest kid and both of us lost a sibling when we were almost 3.

My parents were the opposite of overprotective of me and I'm the same way with him. I love seeing him out trying to find fun by himself.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm just a mom in the world. A crunchy Catholic mama of 6 trying to make sense of it all and stay positive. 5 boys here & 1 in heaven. One awesome man who I get to grow old with. I help new moms breastfeed. I`m happy. I don`t go to shows or dance clubs every night but I would if I could. Where`s the nanny? When I see her she`s SO fired! One of my boys is super sweet and sensitive, another one is a holy terror. I learn a ton from all of them daily. Like Nigella says, as any parent of small children knows,there comes a point in the day where you can`t go any further without a drink! I love cocktail hour. I`d like nothing more than to be with my family and some good friends surrounded by tropical plants drinking a margarita listening to the Eagles. I don`t care about trendy, I like that grungy 70`s vibe.